You can install VSCode & Java using a fancy installer (it's been slower to download for me than getting things separately).
If you're on Linux or you have a newer M1 Mac, you likely also want to follow the manual instructions instead.
Download the VSCode/Java Pack for Windows; follow the instructions.
Download the VSCode/Java Pack for MacOS; follow the instructions.
If these work for you, you're done!
Manually get VSCode & Java & Java Extensions
- Go to Adoptium.net and get Java 11 or Java 17 (doesn't matter)
- I can help you figure out what versions you need; your browser should guess the right thing, though.
- Go to code.visualstudio.com/download and get VSCode.
- If you need to ask, you likely want 64-bit.
- Again, ask for help on Slack if you get stuck.
- Install Java Extensions, by clicking install in your browser on that page... or:
- In VS Code, click the "Extensions" button on the left. (Looks like a bunch of squares).
- Type "java" in the search.
- Choose "Extension Pack for Java" (should be first!)
- Click the "Install" button.
Help, I'm stuck
We'll do these later, but feel free to get ahead (time-permitting in a future lab):